Army Bases

Fort Gillem Army Base, Georgia

The name was selected in memory of Lieutenant General Alvan C. Gillem, Jr., who began his career as a private at Fort McPherson in 1910 and retired 40 years later as commanding general of Third U.S. Army, now headquartered at Fort McPherson.

Fort Gillem, in Forest Park, Georgia, is a satellite installation of Headquarters, U. S. Army Garrison, Fort McPherson, Georgia. Fort Gillem was formerly known as the Atlanta Army Depot and the Atlanta General Depot before that.

For almost 60 years, the Fort Gillem and Clayton County communities have worked side by side. The relationship began in 1941 when the Atlanta General Depot moved its Candler Warehouse to what is now Fort Gillem.

The depot saw many name changes as it served as trainer and supplier throughout World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Berlin Airlift, the Cuban Crisis and the Vietnam War. Thousands of soldiers trained at the installation's facilities, and tons of equipment destined for the war zones processed through the warehouse system.

On June 28, 1973, responsibility for the installation was transferred from Army Materiel Command to U.S. Army Forces Command, renamed Fort Gillem and made a satellite installation of Fort McPherson.

Fort Gillem is home to First U. S. Army, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (Atlanta Distribution Center), 3D Military Police Group (CID) United States Army Criminal Investigation Command, 2nd Recruiting Brigade, 52nd Ordnance Group and the Equipment Concentration Site for the 81st Regional Support Command. Many Army, Department of Defense and government organizations call Fort Gillem home.

Limited housing is available at Fort Gillem. here are 10 sets of quarters (CSM through O5).

  • News from the web