Ingleside Naval Station, Texas
Naval Station Ingleside is located in the United States' Coastal Bend Region on the beautiful northern shore of Corpus Christi Bay. The station is approximately 18 miles north of Corpus Christi, Texas, 150 miles east of San Antonio, 200 miles south of Houston and 150 miles from the Mexico border. The Coastal Bend Region hosts over 6 million visitors each year who enjoy Eco-nature Tours, Birding, Cycling, Hiking, Swimming, Water Sports, World Class Fishing, Tennis, Skateboarding, Basketball, Golf, and 275 Days of Pure Sunshine. For its residents, the Coastal Bend region is a low to mid cost area that is exceptionally friendly" to the military.
The 2005 BRAC decided to close Naval Station Ingleside no later than 30 September 2010. Since all operational and support commands have completed change of homeport to San Diego CA, Naval Station Ingleside is now slated to revert ownership, moving the closure date forward by 6-months to 30 April 2010.
Naval Station Ingleside mission is to provide force protection and diminishing base support to remaining command personnel while actively engaging in the closure and disposition of Department of Navy BRAC properties through sound business management practices and transformational thinking to support the war fighter and provide savings to DON and the federal taxpayer.
There are approximately 160 Sailors, 140 civilians and 150 contractors assigned to Naval Station Ingleside and its tenant commands. The number of military family members is approximately 300. There are more than 3,000 retirees and their family members in the Coastal Bend region.
A coastal town, Ingleside was first colonized in 1830 and was called "Palomas" which means "doves." After the Civil War, many settlers came to the rich "blackland" area around Ingleside to grow and distribute produce and cotton. Later, Ingleside was known as a major wine capital. The economy began to boom in the 1900's when Humble Oil (Exxon) built a tank farm and refinery and Reynolds Metals located in the area. In 1990, Ingleside became the home of Naval Station Ingleside, the United States Navy's Mine Warfare Center of Excellence. In addition to ship repair and other Navy related businesses, Ingleside's economy continues to be fueled by industry expansions and growing eco-tourism.When Ingleside was incorporated, in 1951, it had a population of 850; today, it has more than 10,000 citizens.