Air Force Bases

Izmir Air Station, Turkey

Location: Located 200 miles south-southwest of Istanbul, on the west coast of Turkey.

Origin of current name: Named after a city in Turkey.

Date current name was assigned to base: September 10, 1970

Previous Names: Cumaovasi AB; Izmir AB, 6 Dec 1956; Izmir Admntv Anx #6, 6 Jul 1962.

Date Established: January 1, 1956

Date Occupied: September 1, 1952

Base Units: Det 2, 7206th AB Sq, 1 Apr 1954-1 Nov 1955; 7266th Spt Sq, 1 Nov 1955-6 Jul 1962; 7231st Cmbt Spt Gp, 6 Jul 1962-31 Mar 1966; 41st Tac Gp, 1 Apr 1966-30 Jun 1970; 7241st Spt Sq (7241st AB Sq; 7241st AB Gp), 1 Jul 1970ó. Base Commanders: Unk, 25 Aug 1953-31 Mar 1954; Capt John R. Gillis, 1 Apr 1954; Lt Col Richard E. Armstrong, 3 Oct 1955; Col Robert N. Wilkinson, 15 Jul 1957; Col Kelly W. Mitchim, 22 Oct 1959; Col Jack O. Brown, 12 Dec 1960; Col Charles D. Jantzen, 6 Jul 1962; Col Thomas L. Wiper, Sep 1963; Lt Col James R. Ames, 7 Jul 1964; Col Nathan J. Hirsh, 30 Jul 1966; Col Frank A. Zamboni, 3 Jul 1969; Col John E. Skaggs Jr, 15 May 1970; Lt Col Donald L. Stinson, 31 Dec 1971; Col John M. Taylor, 12 Jul 1972; Col Edward M. McDonald, 7 Aug 1973; Col Gordon E. Williams, 15 Jul 1975; Col Michael M. Miller, 6 Jul 1976; Col William F. Palmer, 29 Jun 1978; Col Lawrence E. Bustle Jr, 28 Jun 1979; Col Howard J. Hazlett, 17 Jul 1981.

Changes in Capability: U.S. responsibilities in the Izmir area began on 8 Sep 1952 with the activation of Allied Land Forces Southeast Europe and the arrival on 14 Oct 1953 of the Sixth Allied Tac AF at Sirinyer Garrison south of Izmir; the USN supported these and other NATO organizations, while Det 2, 7206th AB Sq, supported USAF installations in the area after 1 Apr 1954; USAFE assumed support responsibility for U.S. and NATO entities in the Izmir area on 1 Jan 1956; assumed support responsibility for all U.S. and NATO units based at Cigli and off-base installations of Cigli situated throughout the Izmir area on 6 Jul 1962; concrete roofs of jet fuel tanks repaired and new water lines, fire hydrants and electric power lines installed, 1962; a reinforced concrete pad for wing-tank loading built at the north hangar and air conditioning installed in dependent quarters, 1963; Cigli gained control of all support activities in and around Izmir on 1 Apr 1966; Turkish AF assumed control of Cigli AB on 1 Jul 1970, and Izmir AS then assumed support responsibility for U.S. and USAF units in the Izmir area, with Cigli relegated to standby base status.

History:

U.S. responsibilities in the Izmir area began on September 8, 1952 with the activation of Allied Land Forces Southeast Europe and the arrival on October 14, 1953 of the Sixth Allied Tac AF at Sirinyer Garrison south of Izmir. The United States Navy supported these and other Allied Forces Southern Europe organizations, while Det 2, 7206th Air Base Squadron, supported USAF installations in the area after April 1, 1954.

The United States Air Forces in Europe (USAFE) assumed support responsibility for U.S. and NATO entities in the Izmir area on January 1, 1956 and assumed support responsibility for all U.S. and NATO units based at Cigli Air Base and off-base installations of Çigli situated throughout the Izmir area on July 6, 1962.

The Turkish Air Force assumed control of Cigli AB on July 1, 1970, and Izmir AS then assumed support responsibility for U.S. and USAF units in the Izmir area, with Cigli relegated to standby base status.

  • News from the web