Air Force Bases

Iraklion Air Station, Crete

Location: Located 10 miles east of Iraklion in the village of Gournes, in the north central section of Crete.

Origin of current name: Named after a city in Crete.

Date current name was assigned to base: October 1, 1954

Previous Names: Iraklion Radio Mobile Annex.

Date Established: October 1, 1954

Date Occupied: October 1, 1954

Construction Began: July 1, 1954

Base Units: Det 1, 1603d Air Trnsp Wg, 1 Oct 1954; 7222d AB Sq, 1 Aug 1955; Det 1, 7206th Spt Gp, 1 Jan 1958; 6930th Radio Gp, Mobile (6931st Say Gp), 1 Apr 1958; 7276th AB Gp, 1 Oct 1978.

Changes in Capability: Base began operations in support of activities of the 1603d Air Trpt Wg and USAFE liaison operations in Crete; the base supported units of USAFE and NATO as directed, and all units assigned and tenant at Iraklion from 1 Apr 1958 to 1 Oct 1978; base provided administrative and logistical support to the 6931st Elect Scty Sq, as well as policy guidance in administrative, logistical and support matters for all regular and other tenant organizations at Iraklion AS, and dispersed DoD units located on the island of Crete from 1 Oct 1978 to the present; also provided liaison and base support services for the United States Embassy, Athens, Greece.

Changes in Status: Closed 1993

Base was Decommissioned on

History:

A non-flying facility, Iraklion Air Station (Iraklion AS) began operations in support of activities of the 1603rd Air Transport Wing and other USAFE liaison operations in Crete beginning on the 5th of October, 1954. The base also supported units of USAFE and NATO as directed. The base provided administrative and logistical support to the 6931st Electronic Security Squadron, as well as policy guidance in administrative, logistical and support matters for all regular and other tenant organizations at Iraklion AS, and as well as other dispersed U.S. Department of Defense units located on the island of Crete from October 1st, 1978, until the closure of the base in 1993.

  • News from the web